63 E. Main Street, Webster, MA 01570

63 E. Main Street, Webster, MA 01570

Service Hours

Mon - Fri: 8am - 6pm

Sat: 9am - 2pm

Sun: closed

Service Hours

Mon - Fri: 8am - 6pm

Sat: 9am - 2pm / Sun: closed

QR Code

Auto Body BLOG

What to do if someone hits your parked car?

Collision Insurance
September 09, 20225 min read

1. Alert the Police Before Calling JK Auto Body Repair Shop in Webster

The first thing that would come into your mind would be to go after the culprit. But do not leave the scene of the accident. Because the culprit had run away after hitting your car and there is no benefit in running after them. You won’t be able to catch them. We know your car is hit and you would be bubbling with anger. Calm yourself a little. Take a deep breath and if you don’t want to lose crucial evidence of your car accident don’t leave.

After calming yourself a little, start thinking rationally. We recommend that the first step should be to call the police at once. Alerting them is necessary because they will file an official report of the accident whose copy, you’ll need to file a claim with your car insurance company.

2. Contact the Other Driver

The second step is to find the note containing the contact information of the driver who has hit your car. If the note didn’t include any insurance information of the driver, then you should call them to ask if they are insured or not.

3. Take Pictures of the Damage

It would be better if you took pictures of the scene of the accident and the damage that your car has incurred from being hit. Some insurance companies might demand those pictures as a piece of evidence for you to file a claim with them.

You can also write an application and upload the pictures of damages that your car underwent on the insurance company's website if they are offering that option on their site. Also, try to search for witnesses who saw your car being hit in the parking lot and note down their contact information.

4. Inform Your Insurance Company Before Getting Auto Body Collision Repairs

Contact your insurance company on the same day the accident happened and share the note containing the contact information of the at-fault driver with your insurance company. Because that will help your insurance company contacting the insurer of that driver.

5. What if the Driver Who Hits Your Parked Car is Uninsured or Underinsured?

The difference between uninsured and underinsured drivers is that the uninsured one has no insurance coverage to cover the repair or medical expenses of the person whose car they hit. While the underinsured one has an inadequate insurance policy to cover all expenses of the damage that they caused in an accident.

If the at-fault driver car is uninsured, then there is another uninsured motorist property damage coverage provided by many car insurance companies. This will help in covering the cost of car repairs. But this insurance policy might not be available in many states, so you have to consider that as well.

If the at-fault driver is underinsured, then his insurance policy will cover your damages up to its limit while the other remaining expenses will be paid through your uninsured motorist coverage. We recommend you get both uninsured and underinsured coverage if your state policy allows you to buy them.

6. What if the At-Fault Driver Ran Away After Hitting Your Car?

In case a driver doesn’t leave a note and has run after hitting your car then the accident will be considered as hit-and-run and depending upon the coverage of your insurance policy you may file a claim with car collision insurance. This insurance is necessary if your car is on lease or not paid for and will help you in repairing or replacing the car according to the damage it has sustained. But if your car is paid off then it is optional for you to buy it. We suggest buying it because it will save you from having to fix your car or buy a new one yourself.

If you haven't got any collision or uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage and are still confused about what your insurance policy covers, we propose contacting your insurance agent will be helpful to you in that regard. You can also consult an experienced lawyer handling car accident case. Hopefully, they will take care of any queries regarding your insurance claim.

Need Help with Auto Body or Collision Repairs?

Even after you’ve taken measures to park your car carefully you could still find it being hit by someone’s vehicle. In case that happens, your best job would be to follow the above-mentioned steps and then find an auto body repair shop nearest to you so they can take care of your damaged vehicle. Some auto car repair shops have auto collision specialists and offer to handle your insurance claims and documents.

If your car has been hit near Massachusetts then you can take the services of JK Auto Body in Worcester County, Massachusetts, Webster.

Let us handle your stress.

We will tow your car ourselves, handle your claims effortlessly and our collision experts' team will repair it back in pre-accident condition. So, that you and your family can be back on the road as soon as possible. To schedule an appointment please call on 508-500-8526. Our location is 63 E Main St, Webster, MA 01570.

Hopefully, we have covered all the necessary points in our what-to-do list in case someone hits your parked car. If you have any queries regarding car accidents or your own experience to share, please drop a comment below in the comment box and we will get back to you.

parked caraccident

JK Auto Body & Glass

JK is a local Worcester County auto body, collision, glass and paint expert located in Webster, Massachusetts on Main Street.

Back to Blog

REPAIR Estimates

BBB Accredited Local Auto Body Repair Shop Near Me

*For Qualified Local Auto Body Customers

credit cards

© 2022. JK Auto Body & Glass, LLC

Webster, Massachusetts

Auto Body Collision Repair Shop